Acne is a skin condition which demonstrates clogged pores (blackheads and whiteheads), inflamed pimples (pustules), and deeper lumps (nodules). Acne occurs on the face, as well as the neck, chest, back, shoulders, and upper arms.
Although most teenagers get some form of acne, adults in their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, or even older, can develop acne. We understand that acne can be disfiguring and upsetting to you. Untreated acne can leave permanent scars; these may be treated by us using the Fraxel laser.
To avoid acne scarring, treating acne is important. We can help you by reviewing your regimen, recommending appropriate products, and offering treatments to clear your skin such as: the acne laser, acne surgery, chemical peels and prescription medicines. Prescription medication may be topical, oral or injectable.
HORMONES & ACNE
Hormonal changes present at the onset of puberty, while under stress, and during the menstrual cycle stimulate the sebaceous glands of the skin to enlarge, produce oil, and plug the pores. This allows the bacteria present on the skin to start creating acne.
When acne is severe and forms deep “pus-filled” lumps, it is called cystic acne (responds well to corticosteroid injections). This may be more common in males. Adult acne develops later in life and may be related to hormones, childbirth, menopause, or stopping the pill. Adult women may be treated at the period and at ovulation when acne is especially severe, or throughout the entire cycle. Control of acne is an ongoing process. All acne treatments work by preventing new acne breakouts.
SPECIAL ACNE TREATMENTS
- Acne laser may be used to clear your skin. Patients tolerate this 10 min procedure very well and usually need 4-6 treatments for best results.
- Acne surgery may be used by Dr. Audrey Stanley to remove blackheads and whiteheads. Do not pick, scratch, pop, or squeeze pimples yourself. When the pimples are squeezed, more redness, swelling, inflammation, and scarring may result.
- Light chemical peels with salicylic acid or glycolic acid help to unblock the pores, open the blackheads and whiteheads, and stimulate new skin growth.
- Injections of corticosteroids may be used for treating large red bumps (nodules). This may help them go away quickly.
- Antibiotics taken by mouth or given topically as well as prescription retin-A may be used.
© Dr. Audrey Stanley
TREATMENT OF ACNE SCARRING
Redness or brown pigmentation left behind from acne may be treated with Photorejuvenation (IPL). Deeper scars such as pockmarks may be treated with a fractional skin resurfacing laser such as Fraxel.
No matter what special treatments Dr.Audrey Stanley may use, remember you must continue proper skin care. Acne is not curable, but it is controllable; proper treatment helps you to feel and look better and prevents scars.
For a clear and beautiful complexion and the best acne treatment in Oceanside, Carlsbad, Vista and San Marcos, and San Diego North County… give us a call.
Please read the SCHEDULING & CANCELLATION section in the Contact Us Page and then call us at 760-931-7864 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Stanley to determine your personal treatment options
Come to North County San Diego’s Premiere Med Spa… where you always see the doctor. Look younger, feel beautiful!